Below are some websites offering information, guidance and help around the following key areas.
Building Structure Into your Day
- National Sleep Foundation - US site offering advice and guidance on sleep
- Sleep With Me Podcasts - A podcast series which aims to improve sleep patterns by use of a series of meandering stories which aim to distract the listener from their worries and soothe them off to sleep. The podcasts broadcaster also offers a Facebook group for users to share sleep strategies and problem solve issues around insomnia.
- Sleepbot - An online radio station playing ambient tunes aimed at relaxing you and helping you sleep
- Raining.fm - An online radio playing the sound of rain. It is also available in ap form and has several settings so that you can tailor the sound to suit your needs.
- Birdsong.fm - An online radio playing the sound of birdsong
- Cmd.fm - An online radio offering a wide variety of music stations including chillout, classical and ambient. Just type 'genres' and it will show you a full list of the stations available. Once you have chosen your preferred station then type 'play' with the station name.
Planning and Organising
- Google Calendar - Free online calendar with reminders
- Remember the Milk - Free online task manager with reminders
- Epic Win - Useful ap for iphones, ipods and ipads that helps manage tasks with reminders
- Coursera - Free online training courses on an enormous range of subjects and levels
- Khan Academy - Free online training courses on a wide range of subjects and levels
- Online Schools Guide - Information and guidance on studying online courses
- Learn Direct - UK site with information on training courses
- WEA - Low cost training opportunities on a wide range of subjects
- University of the Third Age - Low cost training and leisure opportunities for people no longer of working age
- Oaklands College - College in Hertfordshire with campuses in St Albans and Welwyn Garden City
- West Herts College - College in Hertfordshire with campuses in Watford, Hemel Hempstead and Kings Langley
- University of Hertfordshire - University with it's campus in Hatfield
- New Leaf Wellbeing College - Hertfordshire college offering courses offering courses to support people to improve their wellbeing
- Open University - Distance learning on a wide range of subject from universities around the UK
- Librivox - Free audiobooks on a wide variety of subjects
- Open Culture - Free cultural and educational material on a wide variety of subjects
- Time Bank - Sign up and learn about volunteering opportunities in your local area
- Hertfordshire Directory - Directory of services, activities and places to visit in the Hertfordshire area
- Herfordshire Libraries - Information on home library service, computer taster sessions and other services run from your local library
- Do It - Sign up and learn about volunteering opportunities in your local area
- Meet Up - Find local groups and activities running in your area
- Creative Hertfordshire - Information on creative activities available across Hertfordshire
- The Trestle Theatre - St Albans based arts project offering live music, art and theatre productions
- Womens Institute - Information on your local Women's Institute and how to join up
- Guideposts Trust - UK charity providing support and day opportunities to people with a variety of support needs including mental health, learning disabilities and dementia
- Mind in Mid Herts - Local branches of the national mental health charity, Mind, with branches in St Albans, Welwyn Garden City, Stevenage and Hertford
- Herts Mind Network - Local branches of the national mental health charity, Mind, with branches in Watford, Bishop Stortford, Borehamwood, Hemel Hempstead, South Oxhey, Waltham Cross and Ware
- Earthworks - St Albans based charity offering horticultural training to people with learning disabilities
- Sunnyside Rural Trust - Hertfordshire charity offering horticultural training for people with learning disabilities
- DRUM - Hertfordshire community based project for adults with physical and sensory disabilities
- CVSS - Hertfordshire sailing club for people with disabilities
- Wheelchair Dance Sport Association - Information on wheelchair friendly sport and dance activities
- Hertfordshire Health Walks - Details on health walks going on around Hertfordshire
- Active Together - Information on exercise, dance and fitness classes for older adults living in Hertfordshire
Taking Care of You
- West Herts College Hair and Beauty Salon - Low cost hair and beauty treatments from the colleges hair and beauty school
- Embody - Find accredited complementary therapists and beauticians in your local area
- Basic Personal Care MOT - Clear, step by step guide to personal care tasks and their suggested frequency
Taking Care of Your Home
- The Unclutterer - US website with information and tips on decluttering your home and life
- The Life Hacker - US website offering tips on home care and other related subjects.
- Clutter - Website with advice and tips on tackling clutter
- Ingredients Pairing - Search engine that allows you to search for recipes based on ingredients you have to hand
- Love Food Hate Waste - Website with information on reducing food waste including tips on food storage, food shopping and meal planning
- Better Life Healthcare - Online store selling wide range of mobility aids and tools for people with physical or sensory disabilities
- Remap - Charity offering custom made equipment or adaptations for people with disabilities
- Trustmark - Service providing a register of government endorsed tradespeople
- Nine Lives Furniture - Hertfordshire furniture recycling charity based in Rickmansworth
- Emmaus St Albans - St Albans branch of international organisation offering furniture recycling scheme and community living project for homeless people
Living Within a BudgetGetting Help
- Money Saving Expert - British site offering information and guidance on financial matters and living on a budget
- Get Rich Slowly - US Blog that posts articles on managing your finances and saving money
- Entitled To - Online benefits calculator where you fill in a questionnaire and the results tell you if and what benefits you may be entitled to
- Household Quotes: UK Benefits Guide - Information on the welfare benefits available to people in the UK.
- Turn2us - Service offering people in financial need access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and financial help.
- Managing Money - National Autistic Society website offering information and guidance on the financial side of living independently
- Mental Health & Debt - Free 44 page guide for people living in the UK with mental health issues. The guide is published by Money Saving Expert in conjunction with leading mental health charities.
- National Debt Line - Free, independent and confidential advice on debt
- Money Advice Trust - Advice on tackling debt and managing money
- Choose Money - Website offering information and guidance on a range of financial matters
- St Albans District Credit Union - St Albans based savings and loans co-operative for people living or working within Hertfordshire
- Watford Credit Union - Watford based savings and loans co-operative for people living or working within the Watford area.
- Freecycle - International network linking people who want to donate or request items for free. Organised into local groups so check the website to find your nearest group.
- The Trussell Trust - UK Charity offering assistance to those experience poverty including information on how to find your nearest food bank.
- Food Cycle - Charity that makes use of surplus food and spare kitchen space to create nutritious meals for people at risk of food poverty and social isolation
- My Supermarket - A UK price comparison website that offers information on the prices of food, drink and health and beauty products from a variety of UK supermarkets and stores allowing you to search for the lowest price available.
- Samaritans - Info, advice and support to those in crisis plus contact details of your local branch
- Papyrus - Support and advice for young people who feel suicidal or at risk of harming themselves
- Mind - Offering info on all aspects of mental ill health
- Sane - Offering info and support to those experiencing mental ill health
- Rethink - Offering info and support to those experiencing mental ill health
- Depression Alliance - Offering support and info to those suffering depression
- OCD Action UK - Advice and guidance identifying and managing the symptoms of OCD
- Anxiety UK - Advice, support and guidance on anxiety related issues
- No Panic - Advice, support and guidance on anxiety related issues
- Phobia Support Forum - Information and a space for people living with a phobia to access peer support
- National Self Harm Network - Information, advice and support for people who deliberately self harm
- B-eat - Information, advice and support for people living with or caring for someone with an eating disorder
- Nutrition Secrets Guide to Food Addictions - US websites giving information and guidance on food addictions and eating disorders
- Combat Stress - Military charity specialising in supporting veterans who are experiencing distress and mental ill health
- Big White Wall - UK website offering information, advice and support to people suffering with mental health issues. Please note that free access to the site is restricted to certain geographic locations like Hertfordshire and to members of the British armed forces but the site does offer information how to sign up and costings if you are outside one of these areas.
- Young Minds - Information and advice for young people on mental health issues
- Mind Ed - Information, guidance and online training on supporting a child or young person with mental health issues
- NHS Live Well - NHS website offering information and advice to young people experiencing mental health issues
- Youth Talk - Free young persons counselling service for people living in the St Albans district
- Signpost - Free young persons counselling service covering the Watford, Borehamwood and Maple Cross areas of Hertfordshire
- Hertfordshire Nightlight - Hertfordshire mental health crisis service provided by local charities, Herts Mind Network and Turning Point and working in partnership with statutory healthcare providers.
- Its Good To Talk - Offering info and guidance for those considering talking therapies. This site is run by the BACP (British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists)
- Counselling Directory - A Directory of UK Counsellors and Psychotherapists plus information on the different styles of counselling and the different emotional issues that counselling can help with
- Cruse - Service offering support to those affected by bereavement
- Relate - Information and advice with relationships as well as help finding your local Relate branch.
- National Autistic Society - Information and advice for people living with or caring for someone with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities - Information and advice on issues affecting people with learning disabilities
- British Sign - Information and online training to learn British Sign Language
- Headway - Information and support for people affected by brain injury
- Disability Rights - Information and guidance on your rights if you have a disability
- PohWER - Advocacy and advice service for people living in Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire
- Carers In Herts - Support and advice for carers across Hertfordshire
- Herts Sunflower - Hertfordshire service offering help and support for those experiencing domestic violence
- National Domestic Violence Helpline - Help and support for those experiencing domestic violence
- Herts Rape Crisis - Hertfordshire service offering support and advice to women who have been victims of rape or sexual assault
- Homestart - Free and confidential practical and emotional support to parents who are experiencing difficulties.
- Family Lives - Information, advice and support to families experiencing difficulties.
- Silver Line - Advice, friendship and a listening ear for older people
- Age UK - Information and advice on a range of issues effecting older people
- Independent Age - Support and Advice service for older people
- Cinnamon Trust - National charity offering volunteer dog walking and pet care for the elderly or terminally ill
- Shelter - Information and advice on housing and homelessness
- Homeless UK - Database of services available for homeless people
- The Crescent - St Albans based charity offering support and advice for those effected by HIV and AIDS.
- Terrance Higgins Trust - National charity offering information, advice and support to those effected by HIV and AIDS
- Citizens Advice - Advice and guidance around a selection of legal matters and help finding your local Citizens Advice Bureau
- Stonewall - Information and advice on a variety of issues affecting the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender community
- Beaumont Society - Information and advice on issues surrounding gender identity and the transgender community
- GIRES - Information and support for people who identify as transgender or who identify as belonging to a non-binary gender information and training for professionals working within the caring professions.
- Cortex Hertfordshire - Hertfordshire based service offering support to people affected by gender identity issues and who identify as transgender.
- Mental Health Foundation - Offering info on all aspects of mental ill health
- Hearing Voices Network - Information and support for people who hear voices, see visions or experience any other unusual perceptions
- The IRC Village - A mental health internet chat room where people with mental health issues can seek support, share coping strategies and chat with others who face similar barriers.
- Elefriends - Online internet forums for adults living with mental health issues.
- Seven Cups of Tea - Online service offering free, anonymous and confidential listening to anyone needing someone to chat to. The site also offers lots of useful self help resources.
- CRI - National charity offering support, advice and assistance to people with alcohol or substance misuse issues
- Smokefree NHS - NHS website offering information, support and guidance for smokers who are considering quitting
- Quit Day - US website with information and advice for those wanting to know more about the affects of smoking and are considering giving up
- Gingerbread - Advice and support for lone parents
- The Challenging Behaviour Foundation - Information and support for parents of children with severe learning disabilities
- National Association for Premenstrual Syndrome - Information and guidance on PMS with option of signing up to use free online symptom tracker
- Free Mindfulness - Website with information and lots of free guided, mindful meditations
- Get Some Headspace - Useful website which teaches the techniques involved in mindful meditation. The site is offering a free 10 day trial that introduces you to mindfulness through a series of ten 10 minute guided meditations. There is a charge if you want to continue beyond these initial 10 days
- Heath and Safety Executive - Link to HSE Stress at Work site offering advice and guidance on managing work related stress
- ACAS - Independent advice and guidance on employment related issues
- Recovery Warriors - Website offering helpful app (available for Apple and Android devices) to help overcome an eating disorder and develop healthy eating patterns
- Operation Beautiful - A project that aims to challenge negative self talk and promote healthier body image.
- Viewpoint - Mental health service user involvement project in Hertfordshire offering training and involvement opportunities
- Motability - Scheme set up to assist people with physical disabilities in using their mobility payments for adapted transport
- Herts Action on Disability - Hertfordshire agency offering a range of services for people with disabilities. These include providing equipment, transport and a counselling service
- Pets as Therapy - National charity offering animal therapy to groups and individuals
- Medicalert - Service providing medicalert jewellery for people with life limiting or life threatening conditions
- Dementia Shop - Online store selling aids especially designed to assist in the care of someone with dementia
- Work Solutions - Hertfordshire County Councils service offering training and support to disabled adults who need assistance finding work
- Shaw Trust - Support for disabled and disadvantaged adults seeking employment
- Access to Work - Employment support for people with disabilities or health conditions
- Travelline - Website that offers assistance with planning a journey by public transport